Sunday 4 November 2007

My Little Vacuum Former

















I love vacuum formers but they are kind of pricey and they're not that high on my priority list of machinery I need. So I thought I'd build one myself. I started with a box of 60 by 60cm and that's where it still is at this moment. I couldn't find any mesh plate strong enough without having to buy 2 meters. But I wasn't going to need a former anytime soon so.... Until Thursday that is. A friend of mine was having a birthday party and I thought it would be fun to give him a designer toy (which I'll show here soon) I made. And it needed a box and.... I needed to vacuum form a piece so that the toy wouldn't bounce around in the box. I got really ghetto and took a vacuum cleaner, a piece of metal with holes in it, some pencils, a plastic saté container and a paintstripper and had a go with it. It turned out like $#!T but it worked. However, I was not going to do it that way ever again. So I made a little vacuum former to make that plastic piece for future designer toy boxes, which you can see here. Still need to tweak it a little bit (no blue tape, please) but it works. Whoohoo.

No comments: